Why not ask the new dad to whip up this easy and nutritious pasta recipe. Its flavourful combination of lemon, creamy pesto and pumpkin seeds is simply out of this world.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1 pack of 375 gr fettuccine
¼ cup (65 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
4 tbsp (60 ml) pumpkin seeds
1 cup (250 ml) onions, finely chopped
1 ½ cups (375 ml) yellow bell peppers, cut into strips
2 cups (500 ml) red cherry tomatoes, halved
1 ¼ cups (315 ml) cooked chicken, shredded
1 ½ tbsp (22 ml) lemon zest
3 tbsp (45 ml) lemon juice
To taste salt and pepper
¼ cup (65 ml) fresh Parmesan, grated
¼ cup (65 ml) pesto
- Boil a pot of water. Add a good pinch of salt and cook the fettuccine according to package directions. When cooked, drain the pasta without rinsing and reserve about 1 cup of the cooking water. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and when hot, add the pumpkin seeds. Cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Add the onions and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the bell peppers to the pan and cook for 2 minutes until softened.
- Add the tomatoes and shredded chicken and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the cup of reserved cooking water and reduce heat to simmer the sauce.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice. Season to taste, add the grated parmesan and remove from heat.
- Place the still warm pasta in a large bowl and add the pesto. Use kitchen tongs to coat pasta.
- Combine pasta with sauce and serve immediately.
Note: You can substitute pumpkin seeds by any other seed or nut of your choice.