Combining Breast & Bottle Feeding for Breastfeeding Moms on the GoBreastfeeding
|Philips AVENT is the #1 brand recommended by moms worldwide and the #1 reusable bottle brand in Canada.|
Exclusively breastfeeding can be demanding and tiring on Mom. Combining breast and bottle feeding is now easier than you think.
You’ve put in all the work to pump because you want to make sure your baby still gets all the benefits of breast milk when you’re not around. Choosing a bottle that is designed to give your baby a feeding experience that is closest to breastfeeding will make the transition between breast and bottle as smooth and easy as possible.
Here are some helpful tips:
- Ideally, try to wait until breastfeeding is established before giving your baby a bottle (roughly 3-4 weeks after birth). If you’re planning on returning to work, begin bottle feeding at least 2 weeks before your start date. Your baby may take a while to get used to bottle feeding.
- To start, you may want to get 3 to 4 different bottles and a selection of nipples with different flow rates to keep up with your baby’s growth.
- Be patient. Some babies take a little milk, might pause for some sleep and wake up for more.
- As you feed, keep the bottle tilted so that the nipple is always full of milk to prevent your baby from taking in air.
- Try to get into the habit of burping about halfway through a feeding and after feeding.
- Hold your bottle in a position where they can make eye contact with you. Bottle feeding can be just as nurturing physically as breastfeeding if you hold your baby close.
- Offer your baby a bottle a bit later than regular feeding times so they will be hungry and interested.
- Heat the nipple with warm water to make it more appealing.
- Put some breast milk on the nipple. When your baby tastes it, they may start sucking to get more.
- Shape of nipple: Choose a wide breast shaped nipple that makes it most natural for baby to transition between breast and bottle feeding.
- Softness and flexibility of nipple: Choose a nipple that is soft and flexible, yet doesn’t collapse so it is comfortable for your baby.
- Reduce colic and discomfort: Look for a bottle that offers an advanced anti-colic valve so it reduces gas in the baby’s tummy.
- Ergonomic shape: You want to choose something that is comfortable to hold, even for baby’s tiny hands.
- Simple to use and clean: Only a few parts for quick and simple assembly.
A lot of mothers get frustrated because their babies may have a hard time adjusting to the bottle. When searching for the right bottle for your baby, consider the following:
The Philips AVENT Natural bottle range delivers on all the above benefits. Click here to learn more about the #1 Reusable Bottle Brand in Canada. AVENT is the #1 brand recommended by moms worldwide and the #1 reusable bottle brand in Canada. Please be aware that the information given in these articles is only intended as general advice and should in no way be taken as a substitute for professional medical advice. If you or your family or your child is suffering from symptoms or conditions which are severe or persistent or you need specific medical advice, please seek professional medical assistance. Philips AVENT cannot be held responsible for any damages that result from the use of the information provided on this website.
This blog site may contain statements which do not necessarily represent the views of Reitmans (Canada) Limited and its Thyme Maternity division. Reitmans (Canada) Limited and its Thyme Maternity division do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any statement provided by any user of this blog site, or any other person or entity. Reliance upon any such statement shall be at the user’s own risk. Neither Reitmans (Canada) Limited and its Thyme Maternity division, nor their affiliates, employees or agents shall be liable to any person for any losses or liability incurred as a result of the content herein or lack thereof. Please be sure to always consult your doctor before changing anything in your diet or exercise.